“We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
I stumbled on this story as I was searching for something else on indiegogo.com. Part of the description of this documentary reads: “Granny’s Got Game is a documentary film about a senior women’s basketball team in North Carolina. These seven fiercely competitive women in their seventies battle physical limitations and social stigma to keep doing what they love. They started playing 6-on-6 basketball in the 1950s but stopped after high school as there were no opportunities to keep playing in those pre-Title IX days…” There’s more so be sure to read it on indiegogo! After reading the intro, I decided to go to the movie’s website and watch the longer trailer for this upcoming documentary. Watch the video HERE.
I am grateful to women like these who played the game before there were “competitive” sports for women, and also for the fact that they show we are never really too old to do what we love doing. I guarantee their story will be a great motivator to get up and get moving! And if you’re so inclined, make a contribution to their cause. Enjoy…
- Granny’s Got Game’s got Debbie (womenshoopsblog.wordpress.com)
- Granny Basketball (expsychlab.com)
- ‘Granny Basketball’ Proves That Balling Knows No Age Limits [Sports] (jezebel.com)
- Granny Globetrotters Meet The Harlem Globetrotters (dfw.cbslocal.com)
- DFW Grandmothers Play Hoops To Stay Healthy (dfw.cbslocal.com)